Lab Rat Tango

Dolls Miniatures Models Home

Carrie's House

This house is a Barton/Lundby Caroline's Home which I slightly altered. I bought it just before Xmas of 2021 from a person having a bit of a clear-out in Forfar. It was a bit worse for wear, so I decided to quickly strip it, repaper it, and set it aside for a bit. That's not how things worked out.

At some point I became slightly obsessed with the Atomic age style and decided to furnish the house in 70s and Atomic furniture and then decorate it for a period Xmas party.

The original exterior paper had been partially stripped, papered over with brick print, and then painted with some sort of poster paint.

The paint ran most dramatically when misted with the vinegar water which I use to loosen the paper. This caused me to name the house the "Carrie House".

I stripped the entire house as much as possible, and since the window frames were A. not original, B. broken in places, and C. rough as !£$%, I filled them in and papered over them.

I use some high-tech techniques to apply pressure where needed. Here the living room is being papered.

Since the white trim was yellowed, I decided to paint it black and papered the exterior in white stone. The house would originally have come with cardboard inserts for the front which were made to match the rest of the house.

Since these were missing, I decided to make removable half-wall inserts with which to imply windows and walls.

There's a lot going on here in the living room. I was trying out a bit of furniture, a half-wall, wall paper, carpet, linoleum, and the placement of mock windows and fireplace.

I've always gotten a kick out of those spindle walls, so of course my 70s house needed one. The odd little wall nubbin made the addition of a little entry hall a logical choice.

The "linoleum" is a piece of calico which I glazed with acrylic clear coat. The "shag carpet" is something new I found at HobbyCraft in the foam sheet section.

Adding a bit of a glow. The fireplace is made from ceral boxes, foam sheets, and some scrapbooking paper.

Heartleaf Philodendron for the living room in process. The leaves are computer paper, painted on both sides, sealed with acrylic clear coat and then punched into leaves with a heart punch.

Each leaf is individually shaped and glued onto painted string.

Veiw of the philodendron from the living room.

View of the philodendron from the entry hall. I keep forgetting to make a door for the house!

My very first couch, made from ceral boxes, a few beads, and some upholstery scraps from a local factory.

I wanted the kitchen to be bright and loud. I'm disappointed the diamond pattern on the wall isn't very visible, but I'm happy with the "linoleum"

Testing out a few bits of furniture in the kitchen.

Layout mock-up with a bit of furniture and some cereal box scraps

More high-tech devices. Here we're applying a little pressure while the glue dries on the kitchen units. About 95% of the kitchen is made from cereal boxes.

Cereal box appliances with a bit of tinfoil and beads for accents. All three are based on reference pictures of period appliances.

The (almost) finished kitchen. I still need to make the table and chairs for it. I'm not planning adding the tiny details or lights just now.

The barstools are made from toothpicks and two 5p pieces, painted black and covered in felt.

I went a little over the top with the wallpaper in the kids' room

I still need to add the blind and glue the window to the wall. It's held up by bluetack just now.

The room doesn't really scream 70s, but I've found children's rooms are somewhat timeless.

The design of the bunkbed came from a 1960s picture. I really liked the layout of it and the way it would work in the room.

Even though you can't see the end of the bunk without using a camera, the shelves are still fully stocked.

Of course there has to be at least one wood panelled room in my 70s house.

The green room with be the master bedroom. The carpet colour is inspired by the carpet in my parent's room growing up.